Tuesday 9 October 2018

Character Design - Character Art Style

Today we picked apart the essence of what makes an art style look as it does. I used the example of Tim Burtons' 'The Nightmare before Christmas' as a subject, below I began by trying to imitate the style of German Expressionism on the left. Then I was tasked with inventing a character to fit into the world space in the same style, on the right is the character designed for the role of accountant of Jack Skellington, his only purpose is to sit and account, his physique allows for no travel.    




My character appeared generic however so I began work on designing a character which embodied the essence of an accountant, this equated to boring faced, slave basically, which needed an element of sinisterness to relate to the horror archetypes, I began by designing expressionless faces until I came up with the idea of a tentacle faced, elongated body monster.   




Below are my final three designs for the accounting monster.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Year 3 - Major Submission - Reflective statement

This is a reflective statement for my 3rd year of 3D computer Animation Arts.  I shall outline what it was that I achieved this year, I...