Thursday 11 January 2018

Character Design - Superman

Characters consist of three basic shapes, circles, squares and triangles. Depending on the combination and what is more dominant in a drawing the character will create different states of feeling towards them. 

For example, Superman is mainly made up of squares, this means he seems heroic, strong and masculine.

Circles make things look softer and happier, we generally associate circles with children and babies. 

Triangles are edgy and create malevolent or 'adverse beliefs to the hero' feelings in a character. 

Below I have attempted to manipulate the values of shapes whilst sticking to the general anatomy and maintaining the character of Superman through my drawings. 


Above I have use more circles than squares, instead of Superman being an angular and strong man, he now appears to be fatter and demotivated. Below is my attempt to create a Superman which encompasses more triangles, this makes him look more dangerous and more malevolent.  


Then, being after learning about the different levels of style in character design, I wanted to try and make Superman more Iconic, which would mean stripping back his image to the bare bones of his essentials, simply the buts which make him superman. I was able to remove hands and feet, and general body structure. Even after this there was still more I could strip back, even for facial features, so the noose and pupils were also removed. 


The cape was given more motion to make make it more heroic and the general shape of his boy was also put back in to include his masculine persona. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Year 3 - Major Submission - Reflective statement

This is a reflective statement for my 3rd year of 3D computer Animation Arts.  I shall outline what it was that I achieved this year, I...